Thursday, September 1, 2016

Ensemble.


 "I have been criticized by some for sharing too much...Or (worse!) having the motive of self-aggrandizement...My response has been always that if you share something, a photo, a blog post, song, piece of artwork (you name it)...it matters - really matters - if it only affects 1 person. If in the wide world it is meaningful or inspiring or amusing to just 1 person it's worth it."

Amy Burvall

Oversharing.

Those were the words that I read yesterday when Amy shared a blog post - Ephemerments...aagh. that I had written inspired by her work.

There were replies from a number of people to the comment, among them, one from Simon Finch.

"I'm happy to be considered to be over sharing. It's like saying hello at every opportunity every day to people across the world. I never know when or what will lead to small conversations or interesting opportunities."

We never know what remark, words, sound, image will resonate with other people.

I remember a conversation that I had with a teacher this morning over the importance of open sharing.

It will be a conversation which will help to focus my work for the coming year...

I remember the video that was shared during Connected Courses:

 "obvious to you - amazing to others..."



That will be useful to keep in mind for the learners I work with.

The talk of "oversharing" reminded me of a video that I had come across thanks to Alec Couros featuring Justin Hall, who I had been introduced to via a book entitled "Say Everything: How Blogging Began, What It's Becoming, And Why It Matters." of Scott Rosenberg, recommended by Howard Rheingold.



There are surely risks involved in sharing - for ourselves, for others - those risks may well be central to discussions that I will have with my co-learners in the coming weeks.

If there are dangers, (and those must be evaluated by each person), there is much to gain from sharing widely.

We benefit enormously from pioneers who go out into the world and take the enormous risks that we ourselves would never be able to take while sharing their stories.

We are all pioneers in our different ways...

Ensemble 

In thinking of the word instrument, I remember the role of the cymbal player in an orchestra.

As a cello player, I spent most of the time playing.   The cymbal, in the work I remember,  only came in at the end.

The greatest problem for the percussionist was to listen to the others and count the bars.

Without concentration the almighty crash came at the wrong moment and destroyed the piece.

Without the cymbal the Radetzky March lost much in drama.

I like the word 'ensemble'.

Like it or not we are inevitably an 'ensemble'.

I am thankful for the generosity of others, those who count the bars...those who play by listening.

Extended Play

Yesterday evening, I remixed one of the videos that Amy had shared with Picplaypost and Fusion.
(See Remixing Drawing With Apps)

I enjoy taking pieces to another place...



Une vidéo publiée par @sensor63 le



A comment from Wendy Taleo moved my attention back to what I am less comfortable with now - music.

I have mixed feelings about giving up playing that cello...

I had shared a picture of apps including Thumbjam - reviewed here.



"Do you have any examples from Thumbjam to share?" she asked.

I shared a cello piece that I had done the day before, but her question prompted me to go back and see what I had kept from past experimentations.


It was no doubt not an accident that I chose to return to the cello...on an iphone.


When I discovered that I had deleted the files that I had made in the past, I went back to see what I could do to provide myself and Wendy with another example.

I suddenly remembered what had attracted me to the app in the first place.

Unusual for apps, after a while it becomes a really interesting instrument - not just an app.

I love the way that you can add vibrato to the sound by shaking the phone or add to volume by tilting.

It has musicality....

Now I need to develop mine :-)



With the bare bones of a piece recorded, I then rummaged through my stock of images/videos.

What image could I find to extend the 'feel' of the music?

I settled on a favourite image - that of whirling dervishes...


So this piece of human expression is brought to you by an 'ensemble' of people, words, images, remarks, comments, apps.

Who knows when, how, or if, this post will resonate with others to take fragments to another place?


Footnote.

I come back and review this for errors - suddenly I have an image from above - Viennese Waltzers and Dervishes whirling ensemble but adjacently.

They whirl with different meaning.

I think again.

Do we really reel, whirl or waltz with different meaning?

There is human joy in being whirled out beyond one's own radius.





3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this post and the use of "ensemble" to show the connection of people, words, images, etc. I'll try to use it in a future blog post, along with this concept map. http://tinyurl.com/TMCSupportNet

    My goal will be to show that "making great music" might be the work of one brilliant composer, but "playing great music" requires the right mix of instruments and talent.

    Entrepreneurs and those trying to make the world a better place, may be brilliant composers, but they often need help in pulling together an orchestra of talent to help them develop and execute the idea..since few are blessed with great wealth that could be used to hire needed talent.

    Thanks for another inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always curious about music apps that move beyond "just an app" and into an "instrument." Thanks for the great post.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better to overshare than to undershare, imo. Folk can always ignore what they what's shared, after all.

    It's not often I wish I had an iphone, but thumbjam looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete